Institute of Landscape Ecology SAS is an interdisciplinary research institution for basic and applied landscape-ecological research, as well as for the realization of environmental projects, plans and expertise.
Institute activities are divided into several areas:
- Science: development of basic landscape-ecological research methods
- Application of the results into practice: development of methods for the transfer of scientific knowledge in decision-making and planning processes
- Expertise activities: carrying out surveys, technical studies, opinions and assessment reports on the environment
- Editorial activities: Publishing of journals Ecology (Bratislava), Environment, Ecological studies as well as scientific and professional monographs
- Education and training: External training center for doctoral studies in Environmental Science program, field of study: Protection and land use. Cooperation with universities in the education activities and also collaboration with primary and grammar schools in the field of environmental education
ILE SAS is a Center of excellence for protection and use of landscape and for biodiversity and is also a member of the international research network of excellence (ALTER-Net) for long-term research of biodiversity, ecosystems and environmental awareness.
ILE SAS is an expert center of the European Commission and the European Environment Agency within the projects:
- Phare Topic Link on Nature Conservation European Topic Centre on Nature Protection and Biodiversity
- Europea Topic Centre on Biological Diversity
ILE SAS is an accredited workplace of Central Consultancy Register of the European Commission. Inclusion of LANDEP methodologies developed by ILE SAS into Agenda 21, Chapter 10 of the Rio Summit can be considered as a significant international recognition of ILE SAS. These methodologies are one of the recommended methods for integrated protection and use of natural resources. Many methodologies developed by ILE SAS were included in legislative provisions as binding landscape documentation for spatial development – TSES, Landscape-ecological plan, E.I.A., S. E.A., etc.